Monday, January 11, 2010

The Butterfly Effect

Thomas got a interesting text today:

11:09 AM
Eric: hey man,
you took sonnenschein's communication for leaders a couple years back right?

Thomas: ya, what's up he was great, major bummer he passed away.
Great course.

Eric: oh definitely. I just thought you'd be amused to hear
that you uninentionally inspired quite a chain of events with one of your speeches
remember when you gave a speech that talked about the Copenhagen Consensus?

Thomas: ya, interesting stuff.

Eric: yeah.
Well some time afterward I entered a "curricular innovation" contest in the Bears Breaking Boundaries competition

Thomas: nice

Eric: and the whole concept was based on this copenhagen consensus concept, that I had only heard of because of your speech it won 1st place and $5k, then another $10k from a Buffet Family Foundation

Thomas: how cool! congratulations!

Eric: now it's going to become a real course at Haas (another special topics 196 series course) it's going to happen in the spring Bjorn Lomborg is planning to visit the course in feb so I think the causality of it all is pretty damn funny
because if I hadn't heard your speech, none of it ever would've happened, period.

Thomas: wow, you just made my day

Eric: nice

3 comments:

Schneider said...

That is so great Thomas, and nice that he gave you the credit even if just to make your day. So many times we forget who inspired us when we do well. Your obviously well done assignment and speech made an everlasting impact in his life, and now with all this, for many others as this all goes forward. Who would have known. Very cool.

Laura said...

How cool Thomas! Congrats :)

TRHK said...

What a great story Thomas! Thanks for sharing it with us!