Friday, June 12, 2009

Bike Ride anyone??

As the photos from last weekends lake trip adequately illustrate, my obese body needs more abuse...aka, exercise. In the past I hve found setting a goal in the distance has helped motivate me...things like water ski camp, bike rides, or ski trips. The current goal is to ride the Amtrack Century on 9/12/09. It is a ride from Irvine to San Diego and you ride the Amtrack back to Irvine. The ride is limited to 700 who intend to return on the train and 400 who do not. It is promoted as a great first time Century and is reasonably flat primarily along the coast. This ride sells out most years fairly quickly. Registration opens up at 7:00 Monday morning, 6/15. I would love to have some company. Jamo and Thomas were up for trying one before....Tom Smith, it is you backyard... Scott, Maddy will be 2 months old..... Trish, no excuses....This is the site:
http://www.ocw.org/Amtrak/Default.asp
Mike

5 comments:

Laura said...

As long as I am not in Vietnam, I will meet you guys at the finish line in San Diego with an ice chest of some refreshments to re-hydrate you while you wait for the train! :D

Mike said...

Even though I have no takers....yet, if you do have an interest, it will be necessary to register when it opens at 7:00am tomorrow. If you want to back out later you can always sell your registration. The last few years it has sold out quickly...less than an hour. I have a couple of my partners interested and we will all be trying to register in the morning....not real productive from a work standpoint....

T-mom said...

whew - so I waited just long enough. It all sounds fun except the part about sitting on a bicycle seat forever!! Hope Thomas and Jamo got on board with you Mike. I will join Laura with the refreshments :)

TRHK said...

What about Irvine to Laguna Niguel? True, Irvine could be considered in my backyard, but San Diego is a long way from it. LOL. I'm going to throw down the, "I don't own a road bike card". Here's to your success!

Mike said...

Tom: It's considered flat....your beach cruiser will work... :0)