Saturday, October 3, 2009

Jennifer = Triathlete superstar

We arrived at 6 am to a very dark and very cold set up. I was extremely nervous, as was my friend Kat who did the triathlon with me.

At 7:45 we went down to the lake to start the race-The air was a brisk 38 degrees and we couldn't feel our toes! The water was a welcoming 64 degrees warm.

I rocked the swim (thank you Dewing Park Swim Club- Go Seahorses!) but decided not to transition too fast and let my friend Kat catch up to me so we could bike together.

The first hill (pardon my french) was a bitch and a half- Lemoore's overpass really doesn't prepare you for hill climbs. So Kat & I walked half of the first hill and then climbed aboard for a chilling but beautiful early morning, 12 mile bike ride. By mile 3 I couldn't feel my fingers, nose, toes or knees but the trail took us across the dam and down the hills where the sunrise was awesome- creeping over the hills making the early morning fog look like ghosts on the lake. It was a relative easy first 6 miles because it was mostly down hill but let me tell you that we had to turn around and come right back up those stupid hills.

The run was my least strongest portion- getting off the bike after many hills my legs had turned to jello and not any good flavor of jello so I walked the first half mile or so and then jogged when I could. I finally got the feeling back in my toes at 2.75 miles with only a quarter mile to go. I don't have my official time yet but we think Kat and I finished in 2 hours and 16 minutes.

All in all it was a great experience and will be doing it again but hopefully with our faithful sherpa Jamison.

Thank you Jamison for all your support and Jessica too! (She came over to cheer me on too!)

8 comments:

TRHK said...

Great job Jen!!! You Rock, Iron woman.

The Youngs said...

I don't know if guys noticed but they put the age on the back calf, Jenn's says 31!

Mike said...

Great work Jenn...You are an animal.

T-mom said...

You are a champion Jenn!! We are so proud of you.

Megs said...

Yeah Jenn! I will be up for a triathalon next year!!! Want to run a half marathon with Laura and I in February down here? It is completely flat and along the ocean!

Jenn Jenn said...

Thanks everyone!

Megs- I would want to do the half marathon with you but will have to wait on an answer- I am not a good runner but going to attempt a relay in Nov and I get the short leg of 6 miles so I will let you know if I ever want to go more than that :)

Laura said...

congrats Jenn!! Thats amazing! :)

Megs said...

Jenn, once you get to 6 running is simple. It is the 3 milers that are the though ones :)