Saturday, May 2, 2009

Charleston, SC

Charleston, SC is a must for everyone. You definitely want to add it to your bucket list. Like so many over looked places in this great country of ours Charleston, South Carolina doesn't jump out as being a top destination for many. It wasn't for us either. Through work, we were fortunate to be able to win an all expenses paid trip to Charleston, SC. I'm very thankful we got the opportunity. The trip had everything that great trips are made of. Starting with great weather, spring time in the south is very comfortable. The trip had more than enough history, from Fort Sumter, site of the first shot in the civil war, to Charleston's cobble stone streets and early 1800's homes, to Drayton Hall, a preserved late 1700's plantation home. Touring Charleston will put memorable miles on your walking shoes. Finally, every trip must have great food. Finding great food in the South is not to tough. We consumed massive amounts of calories. Fried everything, okra, oysters, flounder. Three four course meals a day. We were treated to the best food. In addition, we were on the club level floor of our hotel, where just outside our door, depending on the time of day there were pastries, cheese, hot appetizers and a open bar. To offset the intake of calories I was able to play and round of golf at Oak Point while Rhonda had a spa treatment and a shopping excursion. One thing that the South has that I can do without is a little bug called a noseeum (no-see-them) their name speaks for them, they are tiny man eating "son of a itches" that seem to flock to people from California. It is one week later and I'm still mending my wounds. I'm told, I should have lathered myself in Avon skin so soft and this would have been a non-issue. Noted for my return, because we will surely go back and would recommend Charleston to everyone. My only regret is that I did not get the opportunity to try boiled peanuts. Bama Tom says they are great.

3 comments:

T-mom said...

That is more like it! I loved Charleston. We went in the summer and I knew that the flowers must be spectacular in the spring. I am ready to go back. In the summer we did not run into the noseeums...I am so glad for that.

Mike said...

T&R: nice report and great pictures. It is fun to travel through the eyes of others. :)

Schneider said...

How romantic. Now, please put Chile on your Bucket list.